The NYC Department of Education (“Department”) offers get right of entry to to the Department’s Internet Systems for its employees, sellers, college students, and volunteers, collectively referred to as “customers” for educational and commercial enterprise functions, in conformance with relevant regulation. This Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“coverage”) governs all electronic activity of users the usage of and gaining access to the Department’s Internet systems, which includes Department e-mail and Department-supplied get entry to to the Internet, and applies to the usage of the Department Internet Systems each on and off Department belongings.
“The Department’s Internet Systems” approach Department-furnished gadgets, Internet connections (such as wireless connections) supplied by the Department, Department-furnished email accounts, intranet and any far off connection to Department systems. A person is deemed to access and use the Department’s Internet Systems through any electronic activity conducted at the Department’s Internet Systems the usage of any device (whether or not such device is a Department-furnished tool) irrespective of the consumer’s physical region.
“Department-furnished gadgets” manner any electronic device supplied by way of the Department, which includes, but no longer limited to, laptop computers, laptops, and hand held gadgets, such as private digital assistants (PDAs), smartphones, iPads, tablets and e-readers.
Student use of the Department’s Internet Systems is ruled by way of this coverage, Department rules, policies and hints, the Citywide Standards of Conduct and Uniform Disciplinary Measures (the “Discipline Code”) and applicable regulation. Employee use is governed by using this policy, Department regulations, guidelines and pointers, the Department’s employment regulations, applicable collective bargaining agreements and relevant regulation.
By the usage of the Department’s Internet Systems, a person consents to follow this coverage and all relevant Department policies, regulations and pointers. All users need to file any misuse of the network or Internet or receipt of any verbal exchange that violates this coverage to a trainer, supervisor or other appropriate Department employees.
Principles of Acceptable and Safe Internet UseGeneral
Internet get admission to and email provided via the Department are intended for educational use, education, studies and the facilitation of conversation, collaboration, and different Department related purposes. Users are challenge to the equal standards anticipated in a school room and/or professional place of work.
Monitoring and Privacy
Users don’t have any right to privacy while the use of the Department’s Internet Systems. The Department video display units users’ on-line sports and reserves the proper to get right of entry to, assessment, reproduction, store, or delete any electronic communications or documents. This consists of any objects saved on Department-provided gadgets, together with documents, e-mails, cookies, and Internet history.
The Department reserves the proper to reveal any electronic interest, inclusive of electronic communications, to police officers or 1/3 parties, as suitable and steady with applicable regulation. The Department will fully cooperate with local, nation, or federal officers in any lawful investigation concerning or relating to any unlawful activities conducted thru the Department’s Internet Systems.
Prohibited Uses of the Department’s Internet Systems
Users may not interact in any of the sports prohibited by means of this policy whilst the usage of or gaining access to the Department’s Internet Systems.
If customers are uncertain whether or not behavior is unlawful, they have to contact a trainer, manager or different appropriate Department employees. The Department reserves the proper to take immediate motion concerning activities that (1) create safety and/or safety issues for the Department, college students, employees, faculties, community or computer sources, or (2) use up Department sources on content material the Department determines lacks valid instructional or Department content or purpose, or (three) the Department determines are inappropriate.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of examples of prohibited conduct:
1. Causing harm to others, harm to their belongings or Department belongings, along with:
- Using, posting or dispensing profane, lewd, vulgar, threatening, or abusive language in e-mail messages, material published on Department internet pages, or professional social media web sites;
- Accessing, using, posting, or dispensing data or materials that are pornographic or in any other case obscene, advocate illegal or risky acts, or recommend violence or discrimination. If users inadvertently get entry to such records, they should straight away expose the inadvertent get entry to in a way distinctive through their school or significant division workplace;
- Accessing, posting or dispensing harassing, discriminatory, inflammatory, or hateful fabric, or making unfavourable or false statements about others;
- Sending, posting, or otherwise distributing chain letters or engaging in spamming;
- Damaging laptop system, files, records or the Department’s Internet System in any manner, along with spreading computer viruses, vandalizing facts, software program or equipment, destructive or disabling others’ electronic assets, or undertaking conduct that might intervene or cause a threat of disruption to the Department’s academic or commercial enterprise environment;
- Using the Department’s Internet System in a way that interferes with the training of the consumer or others or the job responsibilities of the consumer or others;
- Downloading, posting, reproducing or dispensing song, images, video or other works in violation of relevant copyright laws. Any song, pics and/or video ought to handiest be downloaded for Department, and not personal purposes. If a piece specifies how that work may be used, the consumer should comply with the expressed necessities. If customers are unsure whether or now not they are able to use a work, they have to request permission from the copyright or trademark proprietor; or
- Engaging in plagiarism. Plagiarism is taking the thoughts or writings of others and presenting them as if they had been unique to the consumer.
2. Gaining or attempting to advantage unauthorized get entry to to the Department’s Internet Systems, or to any 1/3 party’s laptop device, which include:
- Malicious tampering, phishing or hacking activities;
- Intentionally seeking information about passwords belonging to other users;
- Disclosing a consumer’s password to the Department’s Internet Systems to different individuals. However, students may also proportion their Department password with their dad and mom.
- Modifying passwords belonging to different customers;
- Attempting to log in thru some other man or woman’s account;
- Attempting to benefit get right of entry to to fabric that is blocked or filtered by means of the Department;
- Accessing, copying, or modifying every other person’s files with out authorization;
- Disguising a user’s identification;
- Using the password or identifier of an account that does not belong to the person; or
- Engaging in makes use of that jeopardize get right of entry to into others’ accounts or other pc networks.
3. Using the Department’s Internet Systems for commercial functions, such as:
- Using the Department’s Internet Systems for personal financial advantage;
- Conducting for-earnings business activities, personal advertising, or other non-Department business communications;
- Engaging in fundraising (besides as set forth in the Chancellor’s Regulation A-610); or
- Using the Department’s Internet Systems on behalf of any elected respectable, candidate, applicants, slate of candidates or a political agency or committee.
4. Engaging in criminal or other illegal sports.
In accordance to Children’s Internet Protection Act (“CIPA”), the Department blocks or filters content material over the Internet that the Department considers beside the point for minors. This consists of pornography, obscene cloth, and other material that can be dangerous to minors. The Department may block or filter different content deemed to be irrelevant, missing educational or work-related content material or that pose a chance to the network. The Department may, in its discretion, disable such filtering for certain customers for bona-fide research or different lawful academic or commercial enterprise functions.
Users shall now not use any internet site, application, or strategies to pass filtering of the community or perform every other illegal activities.
See extra facts regarding CIPA.
Protection of Personally Identifiable and Confidential Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) prohibits Department faculty officials from disclosing in my view identifiable facts (“PII”) from education records of Department students and households to third events without parental consent. However, several exceptions to this general rule might also practice.
All customers of the Department’s Internet Systems should observe FERPA and Chancellor’s Regulation A-820, Confidentiality and Release of Student Records; Records Retention. If you’re uncertain approximately whether or not the pastime will follow FERPA or Chancellors Regulation A-820, please touch the Department’s Office of Legal Services at 212-374-6888.
Internal communications with a Department attorney can also be exclusive. Accordingly, customers have to not ahead or distribute such communications with out first checking with the attorney. Users must make sure that e-mails that encompass or attach personal facts are handiest despatched to the meant recipients.
Student Internet Safety
1. Department Responsibilities:
- The Department will provide curriculum about appropriate on line conduct, such as interacting with other individuals on social networking websites and in chat rooms, and cyberbullying awareness and response.
- The Department will work to guard the safety and security of minors while the use of electronic mail, chat rooms, and different styles of direct digital communications.
- As appropriate, the Department will offer college students, personnel and mother and father with suggestions and instructions for pupil protection whilst the usage of the Internet.
2. Students Using the Department’s Internet Systems
- Students ought to no longer reveal personal data about themselves or other folks on social networking websites, in chat rooms, in emails or different direct electronic communications, or every other discussion board over the Internet. For example, college students should now not screen their domestic address, or telephone or cellular telephone quantity. Students ought to not show snap shots of themselves, or the pictures of others.
- Students have to not meet in individual all people they have got met handiest at the Internet.
- Students need to promptly divulge to their teacher or other school worker any message or other interest they get hold of that is irrelevant or makes them feel uncomfortable.
- Students must now not allow Department computers to keep their passwords.
three. Teachers the usage of the Department Internet Systems, such as Social Media for sophistication activities
- Teachers must teach college students about suitable and secure on line conduct, such as interacting with individuals on social networking web sites and in chat rooms and cyberbullying cognizance and response. Teachers have to discuss with the Department’s Citizenship in the Digital Age manual, and other free instructional Internet safety assets available on the Internet.
- Social Media
- “Social media” means any shape of online book or presence that lets in interactive conversation, such as, but now not restrained to, social networks, blogs, Internet websites, internet boards, and wikis. Examples of social media encompass, but are not restrained to, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, and Flickr.
- Schools use a whole lot of online web-primarily based interactive conversation technologies to enhance college students’ training and studying. Social media web sites need to be used only for academic and school related purposes, in connection with classes and assignments and to facilitate communication with instructors and other college students.
- The Department limits get right of entry to to these sites to individuals inside the Department and Department college officers. If access to a social media web page will make bigger past people in the Department or Department school officers, then discern consent is needed.
- Teachers have to refer to the Department’s Social Media Guidelines, which might be included into this coverage, if Internet sports will contain social media.
- Although students normally can be supervised when the usage of the Department’s Internet System on faculty assets, it isn’t potential for the Department to reveal and enforce a huge variety of social values in pupil use of the Internet. Parents are primarily liable for transmitting their unique set of family values to their children, and discussing with their children what cloth is and isn’t always desirable for his or her kids to get entry to via the Department’s Internet Systems.
- Parents are completely chargeable for monitoring their kid’s use of the Internet whilst the Department’s Internet Systems are accessed from home or a non-college place. The Department may additionally or might not employ its filtering structures to display home get entry to to the Department’s Internet Systems. Parents must inquire with the college or Department.
Violations of this Policy
The Department, along with crucial workplaces and faculties, reserves the proper to terminate any user’s get right of entry to to Department Internet Systems – such as access to Department e-mail – at any time.
If a pupil violates this coverage, suitable disciplinary movement will be taken steady with the Discipline Code and relevant Chancellor’s Regulations. If a pupil’s get admission to to the Department’s Internet System is revoked, the pupil may not be penalized academically, and the Department will make sure that the scholar continues to have a meaningful possibility to take part inside the educational program.
Employee violations of this coverage may be dealt with with the aid of appropriate discipline.
All customers must right away disclose to their trainer, supervisor, main or supervisor any information they receive this is beside the point or makes them experience uncomfortable.
Limitation of Liability
The Department makes no guarantees approximately the quality of the services provided and isn’t responsible for any claims, losses, damages, costs, or other duties arising from use of the community or accounts. Any extra expenses a consumer accrues due to the use of the Department’s community are to be borne by using the person. The Department also denies any duty for the accuracy or nice of the statistics acquired through user get right of entry to. Any statement, available at the pc network or the Internet, is known to be the writer’s man or woman factor of view and now not that of the Department, its associates, or employees.
Copies of this Policy and Inquiries
The Department reserves the right to amend and/or revise this policy at any time as the want arises. This coverage is available upon request and in gentle copy.
Inquiries concerning this regulation should be addressed to:
NYC Department of Education
Office of Communications and Media Relations
52 Chambers Street, Room 314
New York, NY 10007