Computer and internet use
What information do you have got on the usage of computers andthe Internet?
In 2015, 94 percent of youngsters a long time three to 18 had a computer at home and sixty one percent of kids ages 3 to 18 had internet get entry to at home. The probabilities of youngsters with pc and internet get admission to at home in 2015 had been better for youngsters who have been older, the ones whose mother and father had higher stages of instructional attainment, and people whose households had higher earning. Also, higher percentages of youngsters who had been White (66 percentage), Asian (sixty three percentage), and of Two or more races (64 percent) had domestic internet get entry to in 2015 than did Black (53 percent), Hispanic (52 percent), and American Indian/Alaska Native children (49 percentage).
For those youngsters who had access to the Internet in 2015, the two locations with the best stated tiers of net get right of entry to have been at domestic (86 percent) and at college (65 percent), and the 2 most commonplace way of internet get entry to at home had been a excessive-pace net service and a cellular net provider or records plan.
In 2015, approximately 88 percent of eighth-graders and eighty three percentage of 4th-graders pronounced that they used a laptop at domestic, and eighty percentage of eighth-graders said using a pc for schoolwork on a weekday. The chances of students the use of a computer at home and the use of a computer for schoolwork numerous by using pupil and own family characteristics.
Barriers in Student Access to Digital Learning Resources Outside of the Classroom
In 2015, the 2 primary motives children ages 3 to 18 lacked get entry to to the Internet at domestic had been that get admission to became too costly and that their family did now not need it or changed into now not inquisitive about having it. Internet get entry to being too costly changed into more generally the primary barrier for children from low-profits families and for youngsters whose mother and father had low tiers of instructional attainment than for different children.
In addition, 5- to 17-12 months-vintage students’ get entry to to constant broadband service1 at domestic differed with the aid of geographic locale. A better percent of college students in suburban areas had constant broadband access at home than college students in rural areas, with the biggest difference referred to for college students in faraway rural areas.
Within locale sorts, there have been extra gaps among college students of different poverty ranges and racial/ethnic organizations. For instance, in far off rural areas the odds of students who had either no internet access or handiest dial-up get admission to at domestic were better for Black (41 percentage) and Hispanic students (26 percent) than for White (thirteen percent) and Asian students (eleven percentage).
Also, a lower percent of students eligible at no cost or reduced-price lunch stated that that they had a virtual device in their home, or that they first used a pc previous to first grade, than their friends who had been now not eligible without spending a dime or decreased-charge lunch.
1 Fixed broadband (of any type) excludes cellular broadband, however consists of all different non-dial-up net service, along with DSL, cable modem, fiber-optic cable, and satellite internet carrier.
SOURCE: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2018). Student Access to Digital Learning Resources Outside of the Classroom (NCES 2017-098), Executive Summary.
Related Tables and Figures: (Listed through Release Date)
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 218.10. Number and internet access of instructional computer systems and rooms in public faculties, by using selected school characteristics: Selected years, 1995 thru 2008
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 218.20. Percentage of public school districts with college students enrolled in technology-based totally distance education guides and no. of enrollments in such guides, by means of instructional lvl. & district traits: 200203, 200405, and 200910
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 702.10. Percentage of youngsters ages three to 18 residing in households with a computer, by means of sort of laptop and selected toddler and family characteristics: Selected years, 2010 thru 2017
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 702.15. Percentage of kids a while three to 18 who use the Internet from domestic, through decided on infant and family traits: Selected years, 2010 via 2017
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 702.20. Percentage of kids a while 3 to 18 who use the Internet and, among people who use the Internet, percent the usage of it in diverse locations, via decided on baby and family characteristics: 2011 and 2017
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 702.30. Percentage of individuals age three and over who use the Internet anywhere and who use the Internet at selected places, by means of decided on characteristics: 2011 and 2017
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 702.35. Percentage of domestic internet users age 3 and over and a long time 3 to 18, by net get entry to from home and decided on traits: 2010 and 2017
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 702.forty. Percentage of persons age three and over and ages three to 18 and not using a internet get entry to at domestic and percent distribution of these and not using a domestic get admission to, through primary cause for no longer having access and decided on characteristics: 2010 and 2017
- 2019, Digest of Education Statistics 2018, Table 702.60. Number and percent of households with pc and net get admission to, with the aid of country: 2017
- 2019, The Condition of Education 2019: Children’s Access to and Use of the Internet
Other Resources: (Listed via Release Date)
- 2018, 2015 Survey Questionnaires Results: Students Computer Access and Use
- 2016, The Nations Report Card: Technology and Engineering Literacy
- 2011, Distance Education Courses for Public Elementary and Secondary School Students: 200910
- 2010, Educational Technology in U.S. Public Schools: Fall 2008
- 2010, Teachers’ Use of Educational Technology in U.S. Public Schools: 2009